At this point, you should have your website all set up and looking good.
If you are not there yet, Click Here to read my previous post on setting up your website.
Once your site is all set up, you will need to begin creating content.
Content is without a doubt the most important thing to a website.
Your name and site design mean nothing if nobody finds your site, and they find your site through your content.
If your content is bad, people won’t read your stuff, they will click away, and they will most likely never come back again, scaring away a potential customer.
You need to create content that will solve the problem your reader entered into Google.
When people want to know something, they ask Google, and if you choose the right keywords, Google will find you, direct them to you, and you will solve that problem.
If your post doesn’t give them the answer they were looking for, they will look elsewhere, thus leaving your site.
Today, I will be walking you through the process of creating quality content that Google will find and rank.
Along with ranking well, I will also show you how to create content people will enjoy reading and most importantly solve the problem they seek an answer to.
With that being said, here is the 5 step process that is proven to be very effective in writing great content.
1. Choose a Topic
Don’t get your topic confused with your niche.
Your niche is what your website is centered around, and the topic is just what you choose to base your article on.
This can be really anything, be creative, but be sure it relates to your niche.
Don’t select gardening to be your niche then write your first article on building a desk, you want your content, especially your first article, to be closely related to your niche.
Once you have selected your topic, it is time to pick your keyword(s).
2. Choose Your Keywords
The first step in creating content is selecting your keywords.
A keyword is a word or concept of great significance. Your keywords are what allow search engines (like Google) to find your posts, index them, and rank them.
If you choose bad keywords, you won’t get ranked as high, and your page will be found by very few people.
If youchoose good keywords, your post will be shown as one of the first search results, and many people will click on and read your post.
But how are you suppost to know if a keyword is good or bad?
In a nutshell, you enter your keyword, and they tell you the average monthly searches, average clicks in a month, competition, and search engine optimization (SEO) for that particular word or phrase.
Once you have your keywords picked out, it is time to start writing!
3. Write an Article
Now that you have your topic and keyword picked out, it is time to get writing.
I use WordPress, and within WordPress, you can write your article.
If you aren’t a fan of writing within WordPress, just open some other writing software you prefer, write within that, and when you are finished, paste it into WordPress.
If you aren’t sure what exactly how to go about writing an article, here are some basic guidelines to follow:
- Headings – They are what separates one idea from another. Essential to keeping your article organized. For higher ranking, be sure to use H2 headings.
- Break up your paragraphs – If you forget to do this, your post will look like a jumble of words, and readers will get lost. By doing this, you make your article much easier and more enjoyable to read.
- Use images – Most people learn more from visuals than they do text. Be sure you include lots of relevant images to make readers understand your topic more. Be sure to use images you took, or free ones from a website like Pexels, you can’t just grab any image off the web and use it, because it may be copyrighted and you could get into trouble.
- Get your facts straight – When writing, you want to make sure all of your information is correct, because if it isn’t, your readers won’t trust your information and they will click away.
- Aim for 1,000 words – This is a recommendation for beginners. As you make more and more content, you will start to get a better idea of how long you want to make your articles, but for your first article, 1,000 word goal is reasonable.
- Grammar Check – If you write a whole article, odds are you spelled some things wrong or worded something weird. just go back through your article when you are done to make sure everything is worded the way you want and to make sure you have no spelling errors.
- Write a call to action – Write something that will encourage discussion in your comment section.
If you follow everything here, you should have a pretty good post that you are ready to publish.
For reference purposes, check out my Etsy Shop post, as it is one of my best posts and would be great to use as reference.
After you are finished writing your post, it’s time to publish it.
4. Publish Your Work
Your article is finished and you are ready to publish it.
Before you publish it, I would recommend setting a featured image, which is basically your post’s “thumbnail”.
Choose a picture that is very relevant to your article and set that to be your featured image by clicking “Set featured image”, which is located in the right sidebar of WordPress, then uploading and titling the image.
There are still a few more things you need to do before publishing.
Scroll down and below your content you will see three boxes. In the first, you must enter your your meta title, the title that people will see when they come across your article in Google.
In the second box, write a brief, 300 character description that explains what you are going to be talking about and in the third box, enter your keywords, separating each phrase with a comma.
Once you have done that, all you need to do is hit the “Publish” button and within seconds it will be published!
5. Keep on Writing
Your first post may be done, but that just means it is time to work on a new one.
A way for Google to trust you more is to publish content more frequently, so you must keep writing.
At times, it may feel very difficult to find a new topic, but there is always something else out there you can talk about.
Keep working hard and keep adding to your site, the more you add, the more potential you have to get visitors.
Right now, you need to focus on getting quality content out there consistently.
Once you start to get some pretty good traffic, the next step is to add affiliate links and ads to your site to start making some money.
If you have any questions or comments about anything that I explained, be sure to leave them in the comment section down below and I will reply.
If you enjoyed this article and want more, be sure to follow me on social media so you will be notified when I release new content!